Excel functions can be quite useful for analyzing statistical properties of exams and student grades for a semester.
- First, some background on standardizing scores for analysis across a course. Calculating Z and T scores is a good place to start. See Grading students by Cross, Lawrence H. (1995) in Practical Assessment, Research & Evaluation for explanation.
- Data Entry tips for efficiency and control
- Histograms with Pivot Tables Excel Tips And Tricks and using CountIF
- I've created a spreadsheet with a column chart displaying a histogram of student scores and a superimposed normal distribution line chart. (note: add example xls file) This example has a very skewed distribution! But the combination of histogram and distribution line charts are effective for visualizing the scores.
- An Introduction to Excel's Normal Distribution Functions
- How to Create Normal Curves In Excel, With Shaded Areas